Within the context of the 9th GEF International Waters Conference organized in Marrakesh, Morocco, between 5-8 November 2018, UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission and the European Commission jointly organized a participant-led workshop about the MSPglobal Initiative.
The objective of this session was to highlight how large marine ecosystems (LMEs) are developing transboundary marine spatial planning (MSP) initiatives in different regions, the challenges and obstacles they are facing in installing MSP as a viable initiative, and the ways in which meaningful dialogue can be initiated, maintained and encouraged.
Invited speakers were:
- Aomar Bourhim, Government of Morocco
- Eva Rosenhall, Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management
- Patrick Debels, Caribbean Large Marine Ecosystem
- Dixon Waruinge, Nairobi Convention, UN Environment
- Lucy Scott, Agulhas and Somali Current Large Marine Ecosystems
- Jennifer O’Leary, The Nature Conservancy
This session had the financial support of the Government Offices of Sweden.
MSPglobal – Supporting internationally accepted Marine Spatial Planning