Basic facts on marine waters
- Contiguous (12 nm zone from the territorial sea): approximately 3,202 km²
- Exclusive Economic Zone: approximately 22,486 km²; the EEZ between Romania and Bulgaria has not yet been agreed upon
- Bulgarian and Romanian maritime areas detailed studies
- Eforie case study
- Sketch match from Sfântu Gheorghe case study
- Maritime Spatial Plan for the cross-border area Mangalia – Shabla
- Marine Spatial Planning in Romania: State of the art and evidence from stakeholders
- Report on the state of the Romanian marine and coastal environment
- MARSPLAN BS / MARSPLAN-BS II
- PEGASO – People for Ecosystem-based Governance in Assessing Sustainable Development of Ocean and Coast
- ECOAST – New methodologies for an ecosystem approach to spatial and temporal management of fisheries and aquaculture in coastal areas
- PlanCoast – Tools and capacities for an effective integrated planning in coastal zones and maritime areas in the Baltic, Adriatic and Black Sea regions
- TEAM4SEAS – Bridging the gaps: An innovative and operational participatory platform to connect science, stakeholders and policy for successful maritime spatial planning in Romania
- MARSEA – Development of an integrated framework for marine spatial planning in Romania
Which marine spatial plans exist?
There is currently no national legally binding MSP in Romania. Nevertheless, main advances in MSP have been achieved through several European projects in which Romania has been involved, such as MARSPLAN BS I and II. The second project is ongoing and should lead to considerable inputs for the Romanian MSP (1 July 2019 – 30 June 2021).
It should also be noted that Romania has been highly active in the field of Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM). One regional (undertaken in the scope of the PlanCoast project) and four local MSPs were finalized before 2014 under the ICZM principle (national law).
Romania transposed Directive 2014/89/EU of the European Parliament into national legislation through Law n° 88/2017 related to the approval of Government Ordinance n° 18/2016 on Maritime Spatial Planning.
Ms. Diana Tenea – Project Manager of MARSPLAN BS I
Mr. Dr. Gheorghe Constantin – Director
Calea Plevnei 46-48
Blv. Dinicu Golescu 38
Ms. Dr.ing. Mihaela Laurenta Alexandrov – Director
Blv. Mamaia 300